Small Format Interchangeable Cores
Small Format Interchangeable Cores (SFIC) are perhaps the most popular style of lock in history. They’re so prevalent that nearly every cylinder manufacturer has its own version of an SFIC on the market in an effort to capture a piece of the SFIC business. Some of the more elaborate offerings feature patented key control, allowing existing SFIC users to protect against unwanted key duplication without having to replace large amounts of existing hardware. These cylinders have always been limited by the size of the master key systems they can support.
Master Key Potential
A master key system built on 6-pin cores is capable of only 4096 unique changes, and a 7-pin system tops out at 16,384. Those numbers are far too small for many office complexes, universities, and government entities that have large, multiple-building campuses, forcing the use (and management) of many different sectional keyways for large installations. The new KeyMark X4 retrofit cylinder line from Medeco High-Security Locks adds another dimension to previous SFIC offerings. The KeyMark X4 product line incorporates the tried-and-true Best A2 pinning specification and adds a locking pin and slider that is actuated by a special key side bitting. The addition of these components quadruples the amount of possible key combinations, allowing for much larger master key systems than the majority of SFIC products on the market. A 6-pin KeyMark X4 master key system has the capacity for up to 16,384 theoretical changes, while a 7-pin system can be as large as 65,536. Another way to look at it is that the extra changes available in a KeyMark X4 master key system are equivalent to having an additional pin chamber. There are a number of different sliders with varying dimensions that are used specifically to the keyways or master key systems. There is a single locking pin that is used with all slider variations. You may consult the Medeco factory for further information.
Like the first generation KeyMark by Medeco, the x4 product line will allow the integration of SFIC and conventional cylinders (KIK, rim, mortise) into one keying system. KeyMark x4 is available to retrofit more different types of locking hardware than any other brand. Many brands that have an SFIC retrofit do not also have conventional type cylinders available, or the cylinders are not able to utilize the same keys and/or pins.
KeyMark x4 leads the market in patent-protected small format interchangeable core (SFIC) cylinders, large format interchangeable core (LFIC) cylinders, conventional mortise, rim, and key-in-knob cylinders designed to retrofit virtually any door. One key will operate interchangeable cores and conventional cylinders. With patents extending through 2027 and the ability to expand key systems to four times that of standard SFIC, KeyMark x4 is guaranteed to be an important product to suit your needs.
KeyMark x4 Advantages
- Superior masterkey capabilities up to 4 times that of similar style cylinders
- One key flexibility for different cylinder styles retrofit
- Hybrid key (Prox and iCLASS) key compatible
- Patented key control (prevents unauthorized key duplication)
- Patent protection lasting until the year 2027
- Custom key coining (for added security)
- Lifetime warranty on keys
- Raised plug face (supports key to resisting key breakage)
- Solid brass machined construction with tight tolerances (ensures long-lasting, quality operation)
- Available in most cylinder types (provides flexibility for different security requirements)
- Available in 13 architectural finishes (easily matches existing hardware)
- Temporary construction cores available
- Manufactured in the USA
KeyMark x4 Features
- Utilizes the standard A2 pinning system in conjunction with a bitted slider locking arrangement which allows for more master keying capabilities for large master key systems. Up to 65,536 unique change keys in a 7 pin master key system on a single keyway
- Expandable, simple master keying available in SFIC and LFIC, as well as standard key-in-knob, mortise, and rim cylinders
- SFIC’s are available in six or seven-pin cylinders and can replace Best style cores
- Rim and mortise cylinders are available in 6 or 7 pin cylinders
- Key-in-knob cylinders are available in 6 pin cylinders
- Standard Medeco cams and tailpieces can be used on KeyMark x4 cylinders
- Keys can be cut using many standard code type key machines such as the Pro-Lok Blue Punch, A1 Green Machine, the ITL 9000, HPC 1200 with the B clamp and the CW-90MC cutter and card for cutting Best/Falcon/Arrow